Sunday, October 25, 2009

On the road


My wife and I are on the way to Ireland for a week. It's the first trip to the country for both of us. We'll be based in Galway, but immediately head to the Aran Islands for a couple of days. I was infatuated with John Millington Synge's plays in my youth and I very much look forward to going to the remote islands that he wrote so much about.

On the publishing front, this week brought a number of significant developments. There is so much going on that it is easy to miss the forest for the trees and I am disinclined to regale you with every twitch and jerk of the process that is transforming publishing. There are some very smart people out there who spend far more time than I do attending to all of this. One of them is Mike Shatzkin and I highly recommend that you take a look at his more recent thoughts on his blog, The Shatzkin Files.

One of the most exciting developments of the week was the announcement by Barnes & Nobles of a new ebook reader, the nook (yes, it is a lower case “n” … but no relation to namelos). I, of course, had to order one because I am a habitual user, perhaps even an abuser. This will be my sixth ebook reader: a first generation Kindle, two second generation Kindles, a Kindle DX (which is my always with me), an iTouch, and, now, a nook. I’m fear I’m headed down a slippery slope. Intervention may be needed. There will be probably ten or more new e-readers on the market by the end of the year. A good friend assures me that I’ll be all right, it’s the deniers who are hardest to cure.

I am curious to see what Ireland offers on the ebook front. More anon.

No comments:

Post a Comment

I look forward to your comments and I reserve the option not to make them public.